Sunday, August 15, 2010

Back in the saddle

I've also picked up my riding again - partly because it's just plain fun, and partly because I've entered into the World Singlespeed Championships in October this year. The race is being held in Rotorua in New Zealand and about 15 of us are going over for a week to ride bikes, drink beer and have fun.

In line with the bikes, the Singlespeed Champs are a little different to 'regular' mountain bike racing. There are regular beer stops on the course (drink a beer and take a shortcut), costumes are encouraged, the mood is very definately relaxed and the winner has to get a commemorative tattoo. No tat - no podium. For more info go here - http://www.sswc10nz.com/ . If you're a mountain biker in the Southern hemisphere it will be the event of the year. Race entries are closed but come along anyway, ride bikes in the run-up to the race and party with us.

Unfortunately the time on the bike has triggered off an old back injury - one which regularly flairs up when I start upping my exercise regime. I damaged some soft tissue hiking too far with too heavy a pack on when i was in my early 20s and I've had nagging back pain ever since - once or twice a year I'm laid out for a day or two until the anti-inflamatory drugs take hold. I've been seeing an osteopath who really frees it up when it's sore (see John at Osteoworks if you're interested) but I'm looking at some other alternative therapies to prevent it happening in the first place. Asking around, opinions are mixed on which therapies are effective and which are hokum and I'll write up what seems to be effective. If you have any suggestions let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment