Thursday, November 25, 2010

Lethargy

I've been very lethargic recently and it's been hard (read impossible) to drag myself out to do any exercise. Not sure if it's due to the very busy last few weeks, a bit of a bug, seasonal fluctuations, something completely random & unexplained like biorhythms or moon phase or a combination of the above.

Whatever the cause it's lead to a lot of sitting around reading books & watching TV. In some ways it's a release - it's nice to give up all pretences of a healthy lifestyle and revel in crappy television, fried foods & chocolate. I have a reasonable base fitness and I've never been that fit anyway so I know that however slovenly I get it won't take long to get back to my peak, such as it is, and so I can just sit back and enjoy the gradual decline. Most of my cycling friends would be shocked to hear an attitude like that - no matter how fit they are there's always another level to reach, another peak to aspire to, and that seems to be able to drive them to get up early, ride hard and suffer the consequent aches, breaks & pains. Sometimes I envy that driven approach to life, it would make things so much simpler.

I also have some friends who are recovering from illness & injury. They've been off bikes for a few months each and are both hanging out to ride, so sometimes I feel a little guilty admiring at the bikes in the garage and then wandering back upstairs. Maybe you need something to be taken away before you really want it, or maybe I'm just a lazy bugger.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait any longer. Rumour has it, Nidley is organising a beer ride tomorrow. Beer for you, ride for me. Slowest, shortest, flattest road ride in Brisbane.....with beer. Just need to convince H, I'm good to go.
    Gordy

    ReplyDelete