Thursday, April 28, 2011

KL catch up

I've been practicing a form of 'extreme tourism' over the last few days - not jumping out of planes or white water rafting, but seeing everything I can squeeze in in the time that I'm there. This has meant I've not had much time to sit around updating blogs, so here's a snapshot view of Malaysia to make up for my neglect.......
KL tower from underneath


and the views from 250m up

Some of the best chicken wings I've ever eaten in the Golden Triangle
Grafa fixed gear bike shop & cafe - doesn't everyone check out bike shops when they're away? It's a pain to get to on public transport, but the owner is a good bloke.
View from the bottom of the 250odd steps up to the stunning Batu caves. Tourism & fitness combined, I ended up racing a Malaysian lad up. And we both regretted it at the top.
The caves were amazing though. Light streaming through the holes in the roof highlight temples built into the cave walls, and the monks use mirrors to scare the monkeys that live high on the walls.
It's like the gods have descended from the skies
although the locals aren't so impressed
and however the spirits move you you can't get too carried away on the train home.
Merdeka square, home of Malaysian independence
and also the home of the famous 'hash house harriers', who combine running & beer. Note to self - must look up the local branch in Brisbane.

After all that walking around I needed to relax, so tried a fish spa
At first you use the tank of small fish, and when you've got used to that you move up to the bigger fish
All a bit weird and a little bit tickly, but also very relaxing.

I left KL this morning and after a 6 hr train journey and a swift ferry ride I'm in Georgetown on the island of Penang now. Very different to KL - much less modern in some ways, and the local vendors have much less interest in tourists walking past. It's famed for its food but I'm going to need to step out of my comfort zone to make the most of it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment