Monday, January 20, 2014

Skink Saison

I made up another batch of saison this weekend, much the same as the Saison Wit but with a more traditional grain bill. I mashed 4kg of Pilsner malt at 64 degrees for 90 minutes and I added a kg of Pilsner malt extract and 1/2kg of wheat malt extract at the end of the boil, but apart from that followed the same recipe as before. One thing I did notice was the Original Gravity (strength) was higher - I haven't run the numbers yet but I think the mash was more efficient, either due to the longer standing period or the slightly lower mash temperature. It'll be interesting to see how it differs from the Wit equivalent.

Whilst I was brewing one of our resident skinks (collectively known as the 'Fredlets') came out to supervise
 'No - it needs more hops!'
We have a number of these living both in and around the house and they're the source of most of the slightly unnerving rustlings we hear in the undergrowth.
The ones inside the house hang out in the laundry, and they definitely give you a fright when they scurry across the floor at night when you're on the way to the loo. The fermenters are also stored in the laundry, which is one of the reasons why I couldn't get away with open fermentation right now.

"Can I get a beer brewed by lizards?"

No comments:

Post a Comment