Sunday, October 21, 2012

Gear review - Timbuk 2 Shift

Most of the photos I've posted over the last few weeks have featured my new 'Shift' pannier / messenger bag, so after reading one of Katherine's posts I've been inspired to write my first gear review.

The Timbuk 2 Shift is a pannier bag that doubles as a messenger bag.

On the bike (yes, I know the rack is mounted too high) -
Or over your shoulder. The strap is detachable but I normally just tuck it into the bag when it's mounted on the bike
It attaches to the rack with these hooks and a bungy strap, so it's quick and easy to get on and off. 

The hooks can get tucked away behind these velcro straps when you're carrying it around, although I generally don't bother and it's only occasionally gotten tangled in my clothing
 
It's not a huge bag but it's big enough to fit the day to day essentials, and it also has an inner pocket for small laptops, tablets or magazines

As you can see it has a rubberised inner so it's probably pretty waterproof, although that's not massively important as I don't ride in the rain. It comes in two colours - black or this greyish colour with red highlights - and because I use a black Timbuk 2 laptop bag for work I decided to get something a little different. It's already getting a tad grubby but would probably be easy to wash, not that I'll ever get round to it.

I was in two minds about whether to buy this but now I have I use it almost all the time when I'm on a bike. It's just handy to chuck a lock in, so I can leave the bike, sling it over my shoulder and go for a wander without looking like a cyclist. And I'm able to stock up on veggies or grains as part of a ride.
The only problem I have with it is the external pockets. There are 4 pockets all set on top of one another, which means that once you've put things in one pocket there's no room in any of the others.

Also there are no pockets that aren't covered by the main flap of the bag, so you have to undo the clips to get to anything.
 
So in summary if you have racks and want a small casual practical bag that doubles as a pannier, this could the one for you... 

1 comment:

  1. I HATE it when they pretend that the external pockets are usable like that when everyone knows it's just a big fat fake waste of time unless they have some sort of gusset. Such bad design. GOOD GEAR REVIEW, it got me all riled up over badly designed pockets!

    ReplyDelete