Monday, June 14, 2010

A day in the life away from home

Didn't sleep very well last night - I never do the night before the first day on site. Woke up at 5am because of the two hour time difference but managed to doze until almost 7. Then got a call from the office because something has come up that needs to be checked. Try to be irritated but know that it only beat my alarm by about 10 minutes. Had a quick breakfast in the room (hotel buffet breakfast is $25 a day and whilst I'm not paying I still resent that kind of pricing) whilst checking emails, then grab a cab to the clients site.

Got back from the clients place at 5.30 today (a nice early finish), but by the time I caught up with all my other work & skyped the UK about some issues it'd turned 7.00. By then it's a bit late to ring home in case my partner is getting ready for bed, and besides I've been talking all day and my throat is scratchy, so I decide on a text instead. Then out for a quick meal with a good magazine, at a restaraunt that looks good (but not TOO popular because you'd look out of place by yourself). Weekday nights are easier in that respect as everywhere is fairly quiet. Tonight was a Mexican place with a very good (but very filling) burrito. After that the gym is far too optimistic so it's back to the room, check emails again, try and stretch out the stiff back caused from hunching over a non-ergonomic desk all day, decide I'll iron tomorrow's shirt when I get up and veg out on the bed in front of the TV until it's bed time.

Read a good quote today from a guy that travels a lot in his job - 'It's hard to live out of a suitcase at times. I'm sure that when James Bond got sent off on a work trip he didn't count how many undies & pairs of socks he needed till he get's back home again'.

No comments:

Post a Comment