Sunday, October 31, 2010

Singlespeed worlds Day 3

Day three in New Zealand was a bit flat for me - I'd managed to tweak my back during the previous days exertions so I took myself off riding duty and decided to take it easy. I had a lazy morning, stretched a lot and had an easy ride and a mooch around Rotorua. Checked out a few bike shops, had a few coffees, stocked up on anti-inflamatories & painkillers - the usual sort of thing you do on your day off.

I decided the hot tub at the back of the apartment looked like a good idea so I ran myself a nice deep steaming-hot bath but as I settled into it the blue skys suddenly clouded up and rain came out of nowhere. I tried wearing sunglasses & submerging everything but my eyes & nose, but it wasn't quite the relaxing soak I was hoping for.

I wasn't alone in having some time off the bike - some of the guys went sledging, a form of white-water rafting where you use a body-board type float with handles to try & prevent yourself being beaten against rocks until you drown. Personally I think it's the invention of some drunken kiwis one night in a pub - 'how can we get the tourists to pay us to make them REALLY uncomfortable' - but the guys seemed to enjoy it. And the gods obviously agreed, because by the time they returned the skies were clear and they made good use of 'my' hot tub

No comments:

Post a Comment