Monday, October 4, 2010

Wet weekend - addendum

As I've said before, we don't ride much in the wet in Queensland. The trail fairies don't like it if we leave trails in the mud as these can soon become rain channeling ruts that will blow out the singletrack. And the riders don't like it because - well, it's muddy isn't it? One of my friends will even stop, get off the bike & daintily skip around even the smallest puddles. This normally leads to someone who's lived & ridden in the the U.K. (yes, usually me) saying 'You think this is muddy? This ain't muddy - we used to ride in mud so deep you'd need to use a snorkel / so thick we lost a rider in there once and had to wait 6 months before he surfaced / so sticky I've still got some in my ears 5 years later', etc etc etc.

To be honest they can be a bit soft down here when it comes to mud - everyone knows there's no such thing as bad conditions, just bad equipment :). But this weekend there was a local XC bike race held on private land, which meant that the public trails were not being damaged and the riding could continue. Some people pulled the plug early but the valiant continued


Even the mudskipper left me eating my words - he rode whilst I peered out at the clouds going 'oooh - I'm not so sure.....'

2 comments:

  1. Nice work Mikey. From daintily skipping to mud pluggin'. I deserve that. :-)
    Gordy

    ReplyDelete