Monday, January 10, 2011

Wheelbuilding

The crazy weather we've been having recently has been keeping anyone sane inside, but that does mean that there's been more time to spend on bike maintenance. I did something I've always been scared of over the weekend - built my first wheel. I started off with this
and after some time and surprisingly little swearing I ended up with this

At this point it was only half done as the spokes were loose. I gradually tightened everything up over the weekend - a turn on each spoke and then a straighten, another turn, another straighten. With plenty of walking away when I felt myself getting frustrated.
Now it seems to be reasonably consistently taught and it's as straight as a die. Although the real test is in the riding - is it built well enough to stay straight as the wheel comes under tension & compression? And if not, will I even ride enough to find out?
Of course the other question is what's it for. Isn't it Gordy :)

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, fixed hub?

    Secret bike stuff.
    Gordy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed hub and only one wheel....must be a unicycle.

    ReplyDelete