Sunday, October 23, 2011

Occupy Brisbane

Brisbane has joined other large cities around the world with an occupation of part of the CBD by protestors. I think that the focus of the protest is a little vague - what exactly does 'anti-capitalist' mean? - but I can understand the frustrations behind the action. It's hard watching the guys at the top consistently get richer regardless of their mistakes or (worse) their malevolant economic policies. Unfortunately in my view those people control the game and sure as hell aren't going to change the rules to their disadvantage, so whilst I applaud the dedication of people who are prepared to take action for change I don't think it will ultimately make much difference. Of course that is the approach that most people take, and inaction for the majority is all that is required to maintain the status quo.

The protest is in Post Office square, which is a patch of grass built on top of shops and a foodcourt. It's now become a small tent city.






I just hope it all ends peacefully. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment