Friday, March 8, 2013

Another week, another Sydney visit

I was back down in Sydney for a few days this week. Work was dull as always, but I try to get out a bit and make it worth my while.

Escaping this gloomy weather is never a bad thing, even if it is 6am
When I got to Sydney I found my hire car had been upgraded to an Nissan X-Trail. This was probably my favourite hire car so far - a bit noisy and not as well equipped as some of the Fords & Holdens, but fun to drive and surprisingly responsive. Once I figured out the sequential gearbox - put the gearstick in the slot on the right and you flick up and down through the gears manually without a clutch. I didn't realise that and thought it was in normal 'drive' position, and I redlined it out of the carpark trying to get it to change up..... 
Paramatta has a large Indian community around the Harris Park train station, just a short walk away from my hotel, so after the first day I went to pick up a takeaway and spotted this little guy just loose & minding his own business in an empty lot
The takeaway was good - chicken dophiaza, naan bread, deep fried stuffed mushrooms and some IPA. Not up to Manchester level, but still good
The next day I avoided the unhealthy and overpriced hotel breakfast by soaking oats in apple juice overnight and mixing with fresh yoghurt. It tasted better than it looked, unlike the instant coffee.
After another same-old same-old day I managed to get out a little early, so caught a train into central Sydney. After all that rain in Queensland it was good to see a blue sky again 
and a bit of shopping culture
My main reason to visit the CBD was to get a new pair of minimalist running shoes - I think I've given myself a stress fracture running barefoot so am trying a pair of 'barefoot shoes' (sic). There's a minimalist running shop called Shoeological in Kent St and after trying on several of their range I settled for some Innov-8 F195s. 3mm sole and a 3mm heel - toe drop means they're halfway between barefoot and normal runners , so hopefully I'll be able to get some more miles pounding the concrete before I break or strain something else
Whilst I was there it seemed a shame not to visit the Redoak brewery as it was just around the corner....
  
At the airport about to head home now - can't wait, it's been a long week.....

No comments:

Post a Comment