Monday, February 28, 2011

Begging forgiveness

Forgive me reader for I have sinned. It has been over 3 months since my last ride on dirt. Mea culpa.

There was a 'Short Ride Around Daisy' on yesterday afternoon, and the lure of good trails with good mates overwhelmed my recent lethargy. It was my first dirt ride since Rotorua and I was pretty nervous about how my body would cope, particularly as the temperature was up in the low 30's. The ride was intended to be low key & lazy, but even when that's been agreed on no-one wants to be the anchor that slows a group down.

I was on the clown bike, a light agile & simple singlespeed which was held back by its heavy, clumsy & simple rider

I'd forgotton how much fun this bike was. It feels a little short when you're riding it around the carpark but in the singletrack it comes alive and pretty much forces you to have fun. As it's a singlespeed it's not possible to click down the gears and cruise up the hills so it also forces you to work hard. I was happy that I was able to keep up with the group, although I did spend the first 5 minutes of every break wondering if I would bring up lunch. Saw a wallaby bouncing through the bush as well, something that still makes me smile after 6 years over here.
We did probably 15km and I was buggered at the end of it. But despite the sore legs and the nagging headache all evening I went to bed still smiling, and even dreamt of singletrack.

Give thanks to the earth for it is good.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why some rides are better than others, but yesterday's ride was a good one.
    Gordy

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the book of Flow, chapter 4 verse 12; For the mountainbikers saw that the singletrack was twisty and all declared that it was good.

    ReplyDelete