Sunday, February 27, 2011

Spicy Saison

My saison has now been racked into demijohns for a month or so of secondary fermentation, after which it will be transferred to bottles and conditioned for another month or so. Waiting is always the hardest part about homebrew! Theoretically once you get a regular pattern going it gets better as you have earlier brews to keep you company whilst you wait, but that only works for me if I develop a taste for sour watermelon.


The yeast was too good to throw away so I've saved it and am reusing it in another saison. This one is brewed identically to the last except with the addition of this -



Zest of one orange and 1/4 of a grapefruit, 10g of coriander seeds, 1 g of black peppercorns and a gram of sliced ginger. It will be interesting to see how the two beers taste when compared back to back.


Talking of which, ironically I've not actually tasted this kind of beer before. I've seen a bottle in a boutique beer bar in Brisbane, but at $32 I decided I'd prefer to wait. Since I have around 45l of it bubbling away in the garage I hope I like it!



If not at least I'll be able to employ a Belgian farmworker for 9 1/2 days. More if he takes American currency.

1 comment:

  1. Finally tried your IPA last evening. Spot on taste for an IPA, a little short on carbonation, but I don't think that was an issue. Top drop.
    I'll have bottles for you today at the ride.
    Gordy

    ReplyDelete