Sunday, November 27, 2011

Rabbit

I've mentioned before that it's illegal to own a rabbit in Queensland - well, unless you're a professional magician. However we've managed to find a loophole in the law.... 


We got this little beauty at a local butchers and once we got it home, the first thing we wanted to do with it was play outside.


Let's be honest, I'm a city kid. I'm disassociated from my food and it was a bit confronting to tackle something that could have been a pet. I know it's hypocritical, but we struggled to eat it. Not just on a psychological level either - there wasn't much meat on it and it was hard to carve as I didnt know where the bones were. Then I tried to visualise the skeleton as I was cutting, which made it worse. And we both couldn't stop humming 'Bright Eyes'.

Liz was OK with bits of meat but struggled with anything on the bone. I was able to gnaw my way through a leg, but I would have preferred it to be a drumstick or some pork ribs. I've de-boned the carcase now and and I'll use the rest of the meat in a formless risotto, but I reckon you get nicer meat, and more of it, for much less money if you buy chicken or beef.

I'd like to try it again cooked by someone who knows how to bring the best out of it, but my initial impression is that with rabbit you don't get much bang for your buck. Or doe.

3 comments:

  1. To make it easier to eat them - think of why they can't be had as pets here in QLD. There are millions of the buggers destroying farmland all over the state.

    Someone once told me to soak them in salted milk overnight in the fridge to remove the gamey flavour. Then I usually cook them in a camp oven for about 2 hours with veges and stock. Nice tender juicy meat.. yum.

    And to make them better value for money - let me know if you decide to try them again and I'll bring you back 1 or 10 next time we go camping. Consider them 'free range organic'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point Tim, and I can see the reasons behind the legislation. The problem is that they're so damn cute!

    Thanks for the offer of more, and if they're costing you nothing I can definately see why you'd put the effort in to cook them. But we struggled with a skinned, gutted, headless body - one that loooked any more rabbit-like would probably have us both in tears and burying it in the back garden...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to wander the fields of Lincolnshire, with my ferret (Arthur), a catch the little buggers for pocket money....never did get a taste for them , though......way too boney
    GrahamE

    ReplyDelete