Sunday, April 7, 2013

Literally exhausted

Our new rental application was approved during the week so we've been preparing for the move over this weekend. Liz has done a great job during the week tidying up the incidental bits & pieces around the house and has also hit the garage in a major way. Today it was my turn to get stuck in and I tackled our bookshelves. We both love books so between us we have a reasonable collection, but after boxing then all up and carrying them downstairs I was starting to rethink our bibliographic options.

Maybe an eBook reader is a better option, I have one when I travel for work - a Sony PRS-T2 which is light, non-proprietal (unlike the Amazon / Kindle alternatives) and it currently has just over 700 books on it. Which is about the same as the number of books in these boxes. You can see the reader on the bottom left of the picture - which would you prefer to move?
The device is only around 1/3 full so will hold over 2000 books in all, and that's without adding additional memory cards.I could basically hold a room full of books on a single device the size of a small paperback, but sadly it's just not the same. There's something about paper books that is special, and once we've finished the move then we're looking forward to setting up a 'reading room' lined with bookshelves and set up with some comfy chairs.

Although ask me again after the move.....

1 comment:

  1. We have a book collection like that, it's ridonkulous. Tip: when Jonny and I moved back in to our house last year we hired removalists for the first time - THEY ARE AMAZING!!!!! And then I got to unpack all my books after not seeing them for a year, exclaiming, "Oh I love this one! Oh I forgot about this one! Oh AS Byatt is WONDERFUL!" I never exclaim over the ebooks in my ereader index. Not even Villette! But I will hug the shitty paperback version to my chest like it's a kitten. Paper books rulz.

    ReplyDelete