Thursday, December 12, 2013

Black Dog

Churchill once famously referred to his depressed periods as his black dog, although he was quoting an old Scottish & English expression that's been around for a lot longer. As most people who have suffered from depression will agree it's a stunningly accurate metaphor in a number of ways, although it is a little hard on the many loyal & loving black canines out there. Fortunately public awareness of the scale and the mind-numbing impact of depression is on the rise, which is helping both to assist in the diagnosis of those who are suffering and to inform their friends and colleagues as to what might be going on and what can be done to help. And no, telling someone to pull themselves together doesn't work.

As you may have guessed depression is something that I've had to face up to over the course of my life. I'm in a good space right now but I know that for the rest of my life I will regularly see it out of the corner of my eye, slinking into cover waiting for a chance to pounce again. Which is why I thought this cartoon was beautiful and well worth sharing with those that suffer, for those that have suffered and for those who know people that suffer. Which is pretty much all of us.


Stay safe & look after each other. Else who will read my blog? :)

3 comments:

  1. http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kitty - they are awesome. And scarily reminiscent of some of my darker times.

      Delete