Friday, December 6, 2013

Ginger spice

If you hadn't noticed, Christmas is looming fast and in Australia that means sun, humidity & refreshing ginger beer. I had some success with my ginger beers last year but it still wasn't 'bitey' enough for me, so this time I thought I'd start by upping the ante a bit more...

  • Just over 1.5kg ginger, cleaned, frozen and then run through the grater-thingy on the blender (sorry blender)
  • 2 lemons, sliced
  • 2 limes, sliced
  • 2 star anise
  • 4 birdseye chillis, sliced
  • 2.75kg raw sugar (ish, there was a partially used bag which I didn't bother weighing)
  • 1kg wheat malt extract (liquid)
Boil the above for an hour, and with 5 minutes to go add 5g crushed Tasmanian pepper berries & another 4 sliced birdseye chillis

After taking off the boil add juice of two lemons & 3 limes

I left it to cool overnight, strained it into a fermenter and sprinkled WB-06 yeast on the surface. This is a wheat beer yeast and although I should claim that the intention was that the esters of bubble-gum & clove will complement the ingredients, the reality was that it was the only yeast packet I had left in my homebrew box. Although I think that the esters of bubble-gum & clove will complement the ingredients nicely. 

This won't quite be ready for Christmas but should be good to go for the New Year. Can't wait!

 

3 comments:

  1. Yum, love me some ginger beer.
    Gordy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've racked this off and am happy to report that it is suitably spicy this time. Samples will be available early in the New Year...

    ReplyDelete