Monday, February 8, 2010

Wildside Day 2

Day 2
We rolled out of Tullah at 9am to get to the start of the first stage

Stage 3 - 14k
This was an awesome stage. After a few ks of fireroad we entered the singletrack winding its way up to the rainforest.
This was the one time that I wished I was in a faster group as the people I was with were having troubles climbing in the damp. There was a lot of getting in each others way and toppling off into the bush when the rider in front of you spins out. I was following one guy who'd just stop & remount on the track no matter who was riding up behind him. It was frustrating to get past someone, get balked 10m further up the trail and then get out of the way to let the same guy past again. Still, these people were faster than me in other places so it was a fair grading.

After some loose rocky fireroads it got fun again with a great mossy singletrack descent. There were some pretty gnarly bits so I took it easy and walked some of the downs as well, sniggers of my hard core riding mates ringing round my head. Note to self - I need to ride more technical trails.

We had lunch at Roseberry and the fast boys had a 'dash for cash' race on the velodrome - this from the victory lap

Stage 4 - 38k


This was the stage I was looking forward to and dreading in equal measure. It started off on a nasty 6k bitumen climb (not fun in 33 degree heat) and then the track gradually slipped from gravel trail to doubletrack before we got to Montezuma falls. This is the highest waterfall in Tasmania, and the valley is bridged by a narrow suspension bridge.
The suspension bridge was pretty freaky as it swayed & bounced around, and the matting they'd laid down meant you couldn't see what you were stepping on. I'm not scared of heights but I didn't enjoy it.After that we climbed gradually but relentlessly through the rainforest until the trail finally tipped downhill. It was awesome after that with bermy swoopy doubletrack and lots of puddles (one in twenty containing a hidden wheel swallower) to keep you cool.

Don't remember much after the descent from Montezuma. Mud, puddles, creeks, rock, more mud - it wasn't fun. They had a waterstop at 28km to refuel. You can see how much I'm enjoying it - I ran over a snake at one point and was debating faking a snakebite.
After that we climbed up a riverbed and then there was a lot more mud and water and sand and hills. And then somehow it was over.
Cruise - 7k

We cruised our tired & squeaky way down to Zeehan, an old and dieing mining town. By the time I'd washed the bike & found my tent the showers were cold. After a quick clean up I had a big plate of meat at the barbecue and a couple of beers, then collapsed into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment