Monday, February 8, 2010

Wildside Day 4

Day 4

Stage 7 - Hells Gate 36k
The final day dawned with beautiful sunshine yet again
There was relief in the air at the mustering point as they measured up the Clyesdale (90kg +) & Super Clydesdale (100kg+) categories on a picnic table. Someone asked if I was entering which was a little concerning! I was expecting a slightly easier day today despite the warnings of soft sand in the singletrack. We rolled out in groups along the road and then hit the sanddunes. And the soft sand. After some sliding around, some pushing and some front wheel washouts we finally got down to the sea. Riding along the beach was awesome once you learnt to ignore the sounds from your drivetrain.
After a few ks and a bit of a headwind it was starting to grind.
Most people would have ridden it in a pack but I was riding alone, passing or being passed occasionally. Finally we came off the beach. The marshals warned about soft sand in the singletrack and they weren't lying. The sand was in long pits track wide and 3 or 4 inches deep in places. Sometimes you could ride through the middle or fight the undergrowth for the harder edges but for most of the time it was a case of ride 50ft and push 50ft. For about 10k. The sand had also got into my wet socks and was being ground into my blister every time I walked. I've ridden better singletrack. No pictures from here - I forgot until it was over and then I never wanted to see sand again...

Eventually we got back onto gravel roads and eventually bitumen. I pushed as hard as I could and the k's ticked over - finally we were in the last sections and after one last sand section it was done. I was exhausted but I'd still remembered to be pro and zip up my jersey.
I perked up after a beer & a paddle in the ocean - there's 6 months of hard work and fear behind that smile
After cleaning the bike we had presentations, where I found that I would have come second if I'd been riding in the ladies super masters. I think I've found my niche.
After that we chilled out in Strahan for a while

and then up to one of the local bars for sunset


By the sound of things on the bus the next day the party went on for some time. I was drunk & exhausted by 9pm and stumbled my back to my tent for one last night. I should have stayed out - it took me over 12 hours to get home to Brisbane the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment