Saturday, May 19, 2012

Selamat Pagi!

And hello from Kuala Lumpur.

It's been a long hard week. I spent most of each day standing in front of a bunch of Quantity Surveyors discussing ways in which they can use our software to improve their business and most of each evening trying to figure out how the hell our software can improve their business. The irony is I've never been a Quantity Surveyor or done anything resembling that role, so I'm constantly expecting someone to stand up and call me a fraud. So far I've pulled it off, although that may be more because the people I'm working with are generally very friendly and polite.

The apartment we're staying in is in the Mont Kiara region of KL, and we have a 3 bedroom 'Penthouse Suite' overlooking the suburbs


The views are great if you focus in the middle - long distance, however directly behind the hotel (and my bedroom window) is a multi-lane highway with a toll booth. This can get pretty busy in the evenings
and a local hobby for the lads in hotted up Protons seems to be seeing how fast they can get away from the toll booth. It can lead to entertaining viewing from the balcony. Luckily the sound insulation is pretty good so I can convince myself that the traffic sounds more like the washing of the surf when I'm trying to sleep.

The apartment itself is large, clean and pretty swanky - I wish I'd bought out some kind of wheeled toy. Although it has the squeakiest floors known to man.


It even has a maids room where a poor unfortunate maid could be installed (there is a tiny bathroom next to this room so you only have to see them when you call for them)
There are three of us sharing the apartment, although bizarrely they only gave us two sets of keys. My Australian colleague & I were just going to get another set of keys cut, but our colleague from the Singapore office went nuts and starting shouting about not following the correct procedures, how two keys was enough and how we had to follow correct procedures. After a fairly taut standoff we persuaded her to get another set of keys for us, but I think it will be begrudged for a long time!

I haven't had a chance to get out much. We eat at a local shopping area where the food is great and incredibly cheap ($2 for a main course),  and so far that's all I've managed to do. Work, eat, sleep. No exercise as yet, but now I'm settling in that will need to change. Today is the weekend so I've got some 'me time', and the first thing I did was get internet radio sorted so I can listen to 4ZZZ. After this I'm off to KL central for a wander around, to check out some old haunts and to find some new. The heat & humidity is a bit of a shock after the cool weather we were having in Brisbane so I'll need to be careful to keep my electrolytes up. Time for a nice soothing can of Pocari Sweat!

4 comments:

  1. I love Pocari Sweat. You can get it in Sunnybank. Gordy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a can in Singapore, not a huge fan. It was a red can so maybe a different flavour.

    Probably better for your GGT than the other stuff Mikey.

    Now you have the weekend to yourself I'm expecting 'those' photos.

    Mark
    Just about to crack open an Erdinger.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just surfed for Pocari Sweat in a red can but it doesn't seem to exist. Need to go back to Singa to get a photo. I'm sure it was Pocari, unless I was sucked in by a clever copy.

      Delete
    2. Haven't seen any red cans over here, but will keep an eye open for your peace of mind :)

      Delete