Thursday, August 2, 2012

Ginger Slapper

No, not a post about Geri Halliwell but another ginger beer - which means another picture of a big bowl of ginger...
This brew was inspired by Miff's nickname for my last ginger beer. I decided to make a ginger beer with a real bite and a kick to match...something that slaps you around as you're drinking it, but in a way that keeps you coming back for more.

So -
  • 2kg raw sugar
  • 1kg brown sugar
  • 1/2 kg wheat malt extract
  • 1/2 kg lactose
  • 1.3kg ginger (cleaned & blanched in boiling water, frozen and then diced with the skins on)
  • 2 lemons
  • 4 limes
  • 2 sliced chillis
  • 7 cloves
  • star anise   
Boil for 60 mins, adding in 4 more diced chillis and 5g Tasmanian pepper with 10 mins to go.

This made 21 litres of wort with a gravity of 1042-ish, so if this ferments out completely (which it should do with American ale yeast S-05) it will give a spicey zesty 5.2% brew. Get your slap on! 

5 comments:

  1. I would rather a slap from Ginger, than a kick in the gooley's by Kimchi.
    Gordy

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol!!! Ginger Slapper. I love it. I am terrified of the Ginger Stillnox in my fridge.... I need to face my fears I think... Sunday arvo perhaps! Might get the prof round for a tasting as I think the chances of me polishing off the bottle and not dying are limited.... stay tuned. Might have to make a 'if you are watching this video I am dead' messages :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. G is man enough to take on any of my beers! The thing is, you open one and they all start to spoil. So put aside an afternoon and a daybed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mikey! Ooooh, the Ginger Slap lives. That bowl of ingredients looks divine!!! I can't wait, I mean may not remember waiting, but I have invested in a daybed ......real bite and a KICK. Be very afraid people. ;-) Miff

    ReplyDelete