Sunday, May 30, 2010

Follow-up

The work rant produced some interesting comments. Scariest was talking with one of the company directors over from the UK for a visit a couple of weeks after that post. We were talking about possibilities within the company and he said that 'he wouldn't want to place a do-er in a high-up customer relations role. If you do then they will be tempted to roll their sleeves up and try to get things working and having that kind of person at a senior level may be considered offensive by the client'. Scary for a couple of reasons - the idea that knowledge & competence is considered a negative when it comes to senior roles, and also the use of the phrase 'do-er'. When I heard him say it my first thought was that our politically slimey & ethically retarded sales guy had somehow heard of this blog and directed him to it. But it's a common enough phrase so it must have been a coincidence.

My mum also emailed me some comments, probably tempered from many similar conversations with my dad before he started up his own business -
But a ‘talker’ does not realise that this is what he is, it is how he has always gone through life and it is the norm, so he probably wouldn’t understand where you are coming from. He will assume that his expertise at leeching something tangible from you and turning it into sales/monies should be well rewarded, after all, he will assume that you would prefer to carry on with the interesting stuff instead of trying to enthuse boring business men who would rather be on the golf course. I resent it too, but the only way out is to join the ‘talkers’ – you have the personality, all you need is the bulls…..
and of course
so what are you going to do about it?

I'm working on it mum :)

I was also leant a copy of Eckhart Tolle's 'A New Earth'. I've not read much of it so far but it's an interesting read that seems to resonate with my world view. The owner has underlined paragraphs that have had an impact on them and I feel privelaged that they are sharing their viewpoints with me in this way. The main thrust of the book is that the human ego is out of control. It's almost impossible to fight against the ego as it's built around your own sense of 'I' - the way to move forward is to dissolve or transcend your ego and try to attune with what is around you. My favourite sentence so far (although I didn't underline it) is

Most people are still completely identified with the incessant stream of mind, of compulsive thinking, most of it repetitive & pointless. There is no 'I' apart from their thought processes and the emotions that go with them. This is the meaning of being spiritually unconscious.

which pretty much hits my personal nail on the head. It's easy to belittle this kind of book as 'new agey' but I think that anything that makes you think beyond the immediate helps you to achieve a personal balance. I haven't concentrated enough on that part of my psyche since arriving in Australia and this blog is in some ways a starting point to get me stepping outside of my thought processes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment