Monday, May 24, 2010

Smurfette ride

One of our group got a new bike this weekend so there was a breaking-in ride on Saturday morning. It was unusually early for me (an 8.30am start) but I set several alarms and managed to make it out. It was a great ride and the 'early morning' start (which was derided by several people as 'way too late') was worth it.

There was a good turnout with a wide variety of bikes - firstly the bike of honour 'the smurfette', which is a scandium-alloyed aluminium frame 29er 29ers (ie 29" wheels) are the latest fad in mountain biking, particularly for people who ride enduro races or distance rides (and tall people as well). I have a steel framed single speed 29er and it's a great cruising bike, although personally I prefer the smaller & more traditional 26" wheeled bikes that are a bit lower and snappier. Saying that I found that the bike frame looked like this in the dark (same bike, not my photo)which makes me want one more!
Other bikes out there were a fully rigid carbon-forked steel framed On-one 29er Inbred
a Santa Cruz superlightand a beautiful Black Sheep titanium framed bike (one of the the best looking bikes that I've seen), which deserves a better pictureThere was also this On-one 'monster crosser', apparently the fruit of 'a few cans and too many bike bits lying around'. Makes you wonder exactly what he was on..... If you've got an MTB frame and some drop bars lying around, you're tempted to give it a go and you have the ingenuity to make it work then take a look at this shot. The rider was actually enjoying it less than he looks (but go for it anyway 'cos it might work for you!).
Some people had more fun I got the chance to get some good photos around some of the berms & corners, although my little camera suffered a bit with the strong light reflecting from the shiny bike bits


Had some fun with photo-editors afterwards too

Not sure if I prefer the fade-out or the solid look below - let me know which one you prefer!



No comments:

Post a Comment