Saturday, May 1, 2010

Liz Stringer

We went to see Liz Stringer at the Troubador last night. The Troubador is my other favourite venue in Brisbane - a bit lower key than the Zoo, a long narrow room that has pictures up on the walls (not painted on, mounted in frames) and comfy couches to sit in whilst you're waiting for the band. The toilets are also on the other side of the stage, so every time you need to empty your bladder you get stage fright.

We got there early to find the lady herself was manning the 'Merch' stand and then queueing for drinks. It's nice to have a chat with the people you're coming to see. To be honest I didn't talk to her myself, because I turn into a gibbering fool when faced with artists I like, but I did listen in on the lady next to me at the bar as she chatted away and Liz seemed very friendly.

The support act was good - a very talented guitarist & singer called Danny Widdicombe. He also took a phone call from his agent on loudspeaker and broadcast through the microphone, which entertained the crowd. And Liz was great. She's a folk-tinged singer/songwriter who plays great guitar and sings with the bluesy voice that belies her slight stature and sounds like an angel dipped in tar. She was plugging her new album so a lot of the tracks were new to the room but she also pulled out a couple of classics from earlier albums. Her first album, Soon, is a particular work of genius and the room was silent & spellbound when she revisited a couple of tracks from that. Unfortunately she only had a guitar with her - she can pick a mean banjo as well - but she's based in Victoria and I guess you can only fit so many instruments into the overhead lockers.

This does however give me the opportunity to re-use one of my friends sayings. "The definition of a gentleman is someone who can play the banjo - but chooses not to".

No comments:

Post a Comment