Friday, July 8, 2011

I 'ardly know 'er!

When I was a kid we went to North Wales for holidays. To get to the coast we used to drive through a town called Bangor (pronounced 'bang-er')

Whenever we saw it on a sign Dad would call out "Bangor? I 'ardly know 'er!". I had no idea what he was talking about but it was funny anyway.

Fast-forward 20 years and I was living with a housefull of climbers in Manchester. We'd head out to N Wales fairly regularly to go climbing in the wilds of Snowdonia, the coastal caves at Llandudno, the slabs at Tremadog or the death-on-a-stick seacliffs of Gogarth. All destinations that were reached via Bangor, and my dads joke never got old. To me at least, and as I was driving I was given some leeway by the others.

Why am I mentioning this? A new mountain bike park opened about an hour away in the Gold Coast hinterlands, and it's getting excellent reviews.
We're planning to go down early on Sunday morning for a ride, and then I might treat myself to a dip in the ocean on the way home.

So what am I up to this weekend? I'm off to Mount Joyce.

1 comment: