Sunday, July 24, 2011

Manland

Today was yet another beautiful Queensland winters day - wall to wall blue skies, 20 degrees and with a cool wind to keep you moving. Unfortunately I was a little sore from skating the day before and feeling tired after two 2.30am bedtimes (why can't they organise the French bike racing at a more civilised time?) so despite the perfect weather I wasn't very motivated to get out there.

After some household chores I dragged myself down to the garage to wash a couple of bikes. As I was washing one I remembered that I needed to change the brakepads, so did that and started the break-in process for the new pads by hooning down the local roads. Then as I was moving the bike back into the garage I found another long standing project that needed some work, and before I knew it the sun was going down as I happily dismantled, cleaned, repacked and polished. Manland is a very happy place to be, particularly when you have a corner of the garage well stocked with homebrew.

What was I working on? Well, as always I'll show pictures when it's done. I think that declaring your manland ideas early on gets you worrying about the views & opinions of others, and that can ruin the mindless focus and loosely formulated goals that thrive in manland. A garage or shed is in some ways a Taoist retreat where random components picked up from a variety of sources slowly evolve into a complete entity that, when finished, can take you to entirely new places. Until you're inspired to make changes once again. And naturally that isn't just restricted to bikes - it can be both a physical and a mental process.

Of course a plentiful supply of homebrew helps the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment