Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Travelling man

I've been on the road over the last few days - one day in Friday, and now it's Tuesday and I'm on my second night in Newcastle (in New South Wales, not in the north of England).

In some ways it's great to be out and about. Always good to spend time in Melbourne, and it was interesting to explore Newcastle, a surfing mecca and music focused town. Unfortunately it's not quite as relaxed as a backpacker tour. We left for melbourne at 9 am, arrived at 11.30, waited for an hour at the airport for someone else to turn up, talked business over lunch, did a 3 hr demo and then flew home. Not only did I spend more time in the air than doing my job, I also spent more time at the airport that doing my job and made it home by 10.30pm.

Newcastle isn't much better. We flew down on monday night, getting into the hotel at 10.30pm. Up at 6 am for an hours drive down to the client, kick off the presentation at 8am and finish at around 4pm. Back in the hotel at 5, then time for a wander around newcastle in the dark. Which was fun, there were some interesting pubs and some great architecture (check out the flying buttresses on the church!)

  
along with some beautiful beaches, complete with one of the best placed skateparks I've ever seen


In many ways it seems churlish to complain about my travels - I've seen more of Australia than a lot of Aussies. But it would be nice to see these places in daylight.

Tomorrow I'm up at 6 am, for an 8 am flight back to Brissie in time to spend the day with a client. All part of the job I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment