Friday, July 20, 2012

Bubbling Kimchi

I've always liked the acidic bite of the spicy kimchi and chilli sauce that you can get in some Chinese and Korean restaurants so decided to try making my own the other week. True kimchi has large chunks of vegetable in it (carrot, radish, cabbage) and I didn't have the ingredients to hand so I just mixed some chilli & garlic flakes with some brine, some diced carrot and some leftover whey and left the jar on the windowsill.

Not much happened for the first week or so but after I got back from Newcastle the lid was bulging - fermentation is what gives kimchi part of its sharp taste and it had obviously taken hold in a big way. When I nervously opened the lid it sprayed spicy sauce across the kitchen and then bubbled ominously for 5 minutes or so.
I think that that's a good sign.

I have a jar full and it's far too hot to eat a lot of, so put your hand up if you want some! 

4 comments:

  1. I'm afraid of it from afar. ;-) Miff

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks similar to mutagens we 'grew' in the lab at uni. It should definitely be subjected to an Ames test before consumption :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you put it in beer?
    Gordy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's now thinking about gordy. :-) oh dear. Liz

      Delete