Tuesday, July 10, 2012

French cheese nightmares

My second batch of Camembert & Brie was looking great in the cheese cave - I'd left it alone for a few days and the mould was fuzzing over nicely. Tonight it had been 11 days since the cheese was made and it was time to take it out and cover it.

Unfortunately the mould was a little over-succesful and managed to embrace the bamboo mat it was sitting on as well as the cheese itself...
The floor of the 'basement' layer of the cheese cave was in a very close relationship with the cheese and the seperation didn't go well...
 Topless french cheese! Oooh la la!
 Probably curtains for the sushi mat as well...
The cheese itself isn't as bitter as last time but I'm not sure how it will fare after its early exposure. I've loosely wrapped them all in silver foil and put them back in the cheese cave (which is at around 10-12 degrees C), so we'll see how we go. It looks like it will probably take a few goes, but I WILL produce a Briesbane cheese.

In the meantime I can take solace in the fact that my carrot & parsnip kimchi is looking good, enjoying the sun on the window ledge and gives a satisfying fermenty hiss every time I open it....

No comments:

Post a Comment