Sunday, September 16, 2012

All your spice do belong to us

We went out to a Portuguese / Goan restaurant in Wooloongabba last night and one of the dishes was advertised as 'including 18 spices'. The food turned out to be ok but as is often the case when we go out I thought that we could cook better. It got me thinking about the range of spices we have sitting next to our stove
 All in all we have around 30 spices, some pre-powdered or in leaf or bark form
and some needing a touch of grinding
I fried up a sliced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, added the spices, a few large diced tomatoes and some stock and let it boil down to a gravy
After letting it simmer for 30 minutes or so I added diced chicken thigh and some cannellini beans - I had to use the can that I'd dented the day before by slamming it onto my finger. That may sound daft but it was in the context of explaing how to snort vodka, so it made sense at the time.
 Let it simmer for another 30 minutes or so and just before serving add diced coriander
Serve over rice, and it was lovely
What's in your kitchen? 

No comments:

Post a Comment