Thursday, September 6, 2012

Gorillas in the bush

New tracks have been seen alongside the tyre trails in Daisy Hill tonight
as I'd finally plucked up the courage to do a trail run in my Five Fingers
It was great to be back out in the bush at dusk again. I only covered around 2 1/2 km in 20 minutes or so (with some breaks for photos) but when I got back I felt that I could have run for longer - always a good sign. My average speed was the same as for my old trail runs, although obviously the distance was a lot less so you can't compare directly.
I was expecting all manner of knee, shin and achilles pain as I'd also done a 2km barefoot run around Southbank two days ago but I feel remarkably good - I may rewrite this tomorrow though. The Five Fingers worked well as the 2mm Vibram sole protected me from the worst of the pointiness but still let me feel the texture of the ground, and at times harshly reminded me that I need to bend my knees more when jumping on to or stepping off of logs and rocks. I did go for a small walk barefoot once I'd got back to the car as my feet were feeling a little hemmed in, but I think I'll not be running barefoot out there. For a while at least :)

3 comments:

  1. Well done Mikey!
    If you haven't already seen it, Catalyst (ABC) presented some science on barefoot running tonight http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3583630.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark - we missed Catalyst as we couldn't tear ourselves away from Swamp People, so thanks for the link!

      Delete
  2. Barefoot running in dusty hill, good stuff !
    Gordy

    ReplyDelete