Sunday, March 11, 2012

From high tea to high hopes - and possibly high farce

Brisbane is often portrayed as a large country town, but it has some classy elements to it too. Today we went for high tea
It's amazing how the flavours of ribbon sandwiches, scones and pastries are enhanced when you stack them on a tiered plate. Champagne at 11am helps too.

Later that day I was reflecting on what I'd written the previous day and realised that I didn't play around on my BMX enough. Sure, I'll use it to ride into the city and a 20k+ ride on a BMX is not something to be taken lightly, but I don't muck around on it and use it like it should be used. One of the funny things about writing a blog is that you can use it to put your personal goals out into the public eye (well, at least into the eyes of the 20 or so people who read this on a regular basis!) and that in turn can have an impact on what you do. For instance I'd like to think I'd be barefoot running as much in a blog-free world as I do now, but knowing that people will ask me how it's going helps get me off the couch and round the block. It's an extension of Heisenbergs uncertainty principal - when other people are observing something the chances of it changing will increase.

So in that light, something else I'm trying to learn is bunny-hopping a bike with flat pedals


My style is currently terrible, both in the 'looking at the front wheel' sense and also the fact that I'm currently using a straight vertical hop and pulling the bike up instead of the far more stylish & effective manual to hop, also known as the j-hop  . It's still hard work though, exploding* out of a crouch and trying to lift the bike underneath you.
So it's out there - I want to learn to bunnyhop properly. Let's see how we go.

*Obviously when I say 'explode' I'm exploding like a paper bag, or possibly a balloon pumped full of hot air.....

No comments:

Post a Comment