Saturday, March 10, 2012

Never mind the diameter, feel the fun

Took the Roadrat into town for breakfast today and it was fun. Not sure why having a buzzy freewheel is so exhilarating, and it may be just that I'm not spending enough time mucking around on bikes and ANY ride is a good ride, but it was a most enjoyable roll around. Autumn is upon us so the oppressive heat is fading - sure it's hot in the middle of the day (31 degrees today) but the mornings and evenings are gloriously refreshing.

The Roadrat is built up as an urban 29er at the minute - wide(ish) riser bars, 35c 'Sammy Slick' tyres on 700c wheels, Avid SD-7 V-brakes, SNAFU flat pedals - and and did I mention it has a White Industries freewheel? The top-tube pad looks like a hipster affectation but this is also my 'roll into town for shopping / drinking' bike and it means I can lock it against posts without scraping the paint on the top tube. It rides nice, but the big wheels make it a little harder to chuck around.



For that I have my BMX. Short, low, twitchy and hard to pedal, but guaranteed to leave you smiling. Once your backache fades.
Of course both of these are geared for the road - for dirt there's always the clown bike
Not sure if I have enough wheel sizes though - I really need one of these for the set

No comments:

Post a Comment