Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Elizabeth Farm

Another two day, one night trip to Sydney. In some ways these short trips are worst because you don't get to settle - you get up stupidly early, do a hard days work, find your way to a hotel and by then it's 6pm or later. The next morning you check out, do another days work and catch an evening flight home. This doesn't give you much time in the trip to wander around. Longer trips are harder in some ways as I'm away from home for longer but it does mean it's easier to relax in the evening. Or maybe even go to the gym. Maybe.

Luckily I can easily stretch my legs as there are some local sites that are easy to walk to, like Elizabeth Farm


No, not the place where they harvest Elizabeths (there would be no need for me to visit as I am living with the best Elizabeth I could possibly ask for) but Australia's oldest building. It was built in 1793, which for this young country is pretty impressive as it was only 5 years after the first convict boats arrived. Paramatta sits at what was the furthest inland navigable point on the Paramatta river and is also where the water becomes fresh, and it was a source of rich farmland to feed the growing sister city of Sydney.

The building itself is not that impressive - from the back it looks like a 1960's low-set brick house in a 2000m2 block


It's only open at weekends and I'd like to come back and have a more detailed nosy round instead of looking like a stalker.

The other joy of site visits are hire cars. I seem to be getting a run of plush hire cars - this time a Falcon GE6

If I get the chance I'll post a better pic tomorrow. It confirms what I was saying last week, for me the Ford is a better driving and more comfortable car. But the leather seats were a bit much after sitting in full sunlight for an afternoon..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment