Thursday, December 6, 2012

My Sydney local

I escaped the 39 degree heat in Brisbane with a two day, one night visit to Sydney. I was based in Parramatta but managed to escape the client at 5pm on the first day, so it was a perfect time to check out the Sydney Local Taphouse. I've been to the Melbourne branch before but not the Sydney one, and so just over an hour after leaving my hotel I'd walked up to the station, got a train into the CBD and then found the pub. Maybe not so local after all!

It may not have been the easiest trip but it was worth it. Walking to the pub meant that I explored some new parts of Sydney - a city I know less well than Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and even Perth - and with a cool breeze and low sun I even shivered every so often. I tried to take some stealth shots of the pub - they didn't come out too well but you get the idea. The piece of paper is the beer menu
A pint of 'Women of Beer' Hildegarde's Bier De Garde and a plate of Chipotle spice chicken wings with a blue cheese dressing. On the company. That makes up for the early start....
The pub has 20 taps. They use around 5 for lager, 1 for a cider and the rest for ales - including 3 saisons but surprisingly only one IPA. I could have spent a long time sampling their selections but after a  few beers the selection board started to look a bit like this
so it was time to head back to the hotel.

I woke up the next day in need of a big coffee, and luckily there was one to hand
My 7pm flight home got cancelled in the afternoon and I got bumped to an 8pm flight, so instead of sitting around at the airport I amused myself going for a quick hoon around Botany Bay in my Holden SV6 hire car.
The last time I was down I had a Falcon XR6, and personally I think that the Ford drove better and had a better design. I think that makes me a Ford man. But I still got to drive past my boss, wave out of the window, honk the horn and rev the engine as he was getting into his tatty hire Kia Sorrento. It's the little things.....

2 comments:

  1. Ford man? Once you start stating preference for Aussie cars I think the term is 'bogan' :) I much prefer the SV6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the Falcon was more responsive - the Commodore tended to drop a gear when you booted it, which gave a disconcerting momentary lag and a bit of a lurch. Plus the remote mirror controls were smack bang in the middle of the central console, which seemed wierd as they aren't something you'd be using very often.

      Anyway, either car is a world away from the Landy!

      Delete