Saturday, December 15, 2012

LTSTRSB

There are two opposing views when it comes to how bikes are perceived by riders. Some view any bike as a good thing, after all riding a bike is a fun thing to do and makes you smile and so anything that can do that to you has to be a good thing. That view is I think summarised by HG Wells, who famously said "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race".

The other view can be summarised by Andy White's slogan "Life's Too Short To Ride Shit Bikes". The bike needs to be a 'classic' bike - preferably steel, lugged, either pre-90's vintage or handmade in Australia and built with shiny period-correct componentry.A couple of years ago I would have added 'with minimal tyre / frame clearance' but times have moved on. Of course this is only a rough guide of what is considered acceptable, and the boundaries tend to be expanded to include any bikes built or owned by your mates.

I can be one of the cool kids as I was lucky enough score a classic the other day - an 'Indi' mountain bike from the early 90's. Isn't she a beauty? I think it was designed as a downhiller with a long stable wheelbase, a solid frame design and a strong rake on the forks

Alas it's not lugged steel, but I think the distinctively sleek & aerodynamic ovalised tubing makes up for it
 It's a proudly Australian brand

 (although we don't mention this sticker)
and it came with a period 5 speed cassette - sadly no rear mech so I'm running it as a singlespeed  (with 74" gear inches)
 and the original cantilever retarders - calling them brakes is a bit optimistic
*Mmmmm* - shiny....
The name is very 90's too
I think a ride on this baby is always going to have a happy ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment