Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A sparkling wit

My cider has been gently bubbling away for almost two months and is now almost completely dry and ready for bottling.  I'm still figuring out the best way to bottle my beers in the new place, particularly because I don't normally bottle straight out of the fermenter, so I decided to take advantage of the steps down to the laundry. Luckily my cheeky grin managed to sell it to my beautiful, patient partner
Either that or the promise of 23 litres of (hopefully) fine homemade cider...
You have to leave the cider in the bottle with additional sugar for a couple of weeks to let the residual yeast in the brew ferment slightly and carbonate the brew. That seemed too much like hard work for a sample beer so I eyed off our new soda stream 
After a couple of squirts of gas there was a lot of generated head and a weird gas-leaking sound which was a bit unnerving - I had to open it up in the sink and let it overflow.
Looked & tasted OK at the end though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment