Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Motivating your team

Had a big day yesterday, trying to present the weakest part of our system to a group of QS's that knew what they wanted, and knew full well that what I was showing came nowhere near fulfilling those expectations. In those situations all you can do is put together an 'issues list' to push further up the chain to the Project Manager, which is never a gratifying way to spend the day. Especially when you've been pointing out some of these issues for the last five years! Fortunately the guys I'm working with are pretty good humoured and willing to work with me. So whilst the days are long and exhausting (we left the office at 7.30 last night and I was 'on point' for the entire day), at least they're not antagonistic. 

The PM had a quiet word with me after we got back to ‘put my mind at ease’. He said he’d been speaking to the CEO and the CEO's view was ‘Why  is he talking to the QS’s? The management should be making the decisions, not them’. In other words the long days, late evenings and weekends I've spent banging my head against the wall for the last three weeks don't really count for anything and sometime next week (3 days before I go back) the real decisions will be made. Well, that inspires me tremendously.

The good news is that I get to work from 'home' today to put some stuff together. So I'm set up in the living room with a couple of my essential travel items -


  • Sony portable speakers bought from Melbourne Victoria Markets 13 years when I was backpacking, they've been with pretty much I've been every time when I've been away since. Currently streaming 4ZZZ over the web via my phone, they're playing 'I Fink U Freeky' at the minute.
  • Mont insulated mug / coffee plunger. Essential.
  • Glass of urine (no, it's really Berocca. Honest.) 
Much more relaxing than being in front of the client, and one less shirt to iron before it's time to go home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment