Monday, June 11, 2012

Malaysian beer

Given that it's an Islamic state, Malaysia is very civilised in its service of alcohol. In Australia you need to go to dedicated 'bottle shops' to even buy beer, whereas Malaysia follows the UK / NZ / US model where you can buy beer at corner shops & supermarkets. Unless you're a Muslim of how course, in which case you can rely on the staff of the 7-11 to remind you of your religious obligations if you somehow forget


The major beer you can get is of course Tiger, a Singapore-based brand that is a light and slightly sweet tasting lager. Not my usual choice of beer, but it works well in this climate.
Although I've also become partial to its poor cousin Anchor, slightly thinner tasting and best enjoyed by the tallie in Chinatown as the world walks past.

It also provides endless comedy value when you have a camera with a self-timer

Both beers are slightly cheaper than you'd find in Aus (maybe $2 / can in the local corner shop), but the taxation over here must work in a different way because for less than a Ringgit more you can start hitting the strong stuff. For example Anchor Strong, an 8% Special-Brew tasting beer best enjoyed with local street food
I've also become partial to a glass of Royal Stout, an 8.1% brew that is dark, roasty and very satisfying after a hard day at work. If my Imperial Stout turns out as good as this I'll be happy.
I also found this the other day - its classy packaging only hinting of the subtle complexities of the beer that lay within
It was sweet but not sickly, and surprisingly palatable given the strength . And it knocked me on my arse when I had finished it. Which is a bit concerning given that I still have this to drink.....

Half a litre of a beer stronger than most wines for around $3 / can. What could possibly go wrong?

1 comment:

  1. The 'W' took me a while, but I got it :) You are bored aren't you.

    ReplyDelete