Sunday, December 18, 2011

Home made pork scratchings

Christmas is coming, and is bringing the usual bloated feasting and general laziness. Hurrah! However my body is a temple, so this year I was tempted to have a healthier, less fatty christmas where I could use the time off to motivate myself, to set rigorous yet achievable goals and to start to get fit again.

Then I thought bugger it and made some pork scratchings*

Take a slab of pork belly (*mmm* - fatty)
 Chop into bite-size bits
Fry batches in a little oil (not too much - remember your health!) until they start to crackle & brown. This spits a lot of fat so best to fry it wearing a singlet at least.
Transfer to a baking tray (use tongs) and bake in an oven @ 200 Centigrade for 20-30 mins. Then take out, tip out the excess fat (it's healthy remember), sprinkle with a bit of chilli powder, salt, pepper and sliced garlic. The recipe I used also included honey but I wouldn't use that again. I'm also tempted to try an uber-hot chilli version.
 Cook in the oven for 5-6 minutes more
Pukka!

*This is based on a Jamie Oliver recipe. Yes he can be an irritating idiot, but his casual way of cooking works well for us and his recipes are so so tasty.....

1 comment: