Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Say Cheese

This is the cheese straight out of the moulds - a disc of feta from the press, a bud of feta from the bag and the ricotta that I made up from the left-over whey (ricotta is italian for 're-cooked', and is made by almost boiling the whey and adding a few drops of vinegar to tempt out all the remaining cheesey proteins) 

 I put the cheese in the fridge over night to solidify and used the ricotta as a weight to help flatten out the bud of feta in the mould - worked suprisingly well 
Feta is aged in salt and there are two ways of doing it - either by sprinkling with salt or by soaking / piuckling in brine. I'm trying both to see which works out best

It's already pretty tasty :)

4 comments:

  1. I am so impressed! I feel like every time I read your blog I end up yelling out to Jonny,

    "OMG he's making cheese."
    "OMG did you know that Mike makes ginger beer????"
    "OMG HE HAS THIS SMOKER THING I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT IS. HE IS SMOKING STUFF AS WE SPEAK, I AM FREAKING OUT."
    "HE COOKED A RABBIT."
    "OMG he totally makes beer and stuff."
    "UH HE IS MAKING SOME MULLED WINE SHIT OR SOME OLD TIMEY MEAD OR SOMETHING, I AM DYING!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. Your. God. Isn't he amazing, Katherine? That looks FANTASTIC, Mike! You're giving Fearnely-Whittingstall a hard, fast run for the money ... In my opinion your efforts are deserving of nothing short of your own tellie show. V.impressed. Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, glad to hear you're enjoying the blog. And thank you very much for your kind words :). Not quite up to Huw's standards yet though.....

    ReplyDelete