Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sydney

Sydney has a bit of an odd reputation in Australia. If you ask most people what their favourite part of Sydney is they'll tell you that it's the motorway leading out to other parts. That's unless you talk to a Sydneysider, who will tell you that wanting to live anywhere else is just wrong. In many ways it's like London - those that don't live there like to visit but are happy to leave, and those that do are happy in their inherent superiority because - well, the live in London don't they?

Attititudes aside I enjoyed my time in Sydney. The architecture is Victorian English in many ways, but the feel on the streets is of a more Asian city. There's a lot going on, and you always have the feeling that whichever way you go there's something in the streets that you didn't take that you have missed.

Some random pictures - some from my hotel room, the rest from my morning or evening roamings...
Cargo delivery bikes used by couriers
Darling Harbour, 2 mins walk from my hotel  



Views from my hotel room

 Hyde Park in the dusk, with fruit bats flocking overhead



 The Queen Victoria Building (and shopping centre)
Some bridge or other
There are 4 million odd people in Sydney (almost 20% of the population of Australia!), and I still managed to bump into a friend from Brisbane just before taking this!

1 comment: